Sunday 1 September 2013

SUCCESSFUL ICON#5 : PAM SIOW from INTERNET BIZ OWNERS CLUB


I have read so much about this inspiring and enterprising individual, Pam Siow. The founder and owner of Internet Biz Owners Club, I have seen her ads a couple of times in the paper and although I have yet to see her in action before, how she first started her business intrigues me.

She discovered her business by ‘accident’ AND with a S$14,000 debt, it is this very opportunity (out of desperation) that led her to explore further on what it is like to work online. She never looked back since.

A humble person and loves to share her knowledge, here’s the interview that we have conducted recently:

Me: Hi Pam. Thanks for your time spared for this interview. Could you please introduce yourself and what business do you currently run?

Pam: Hi, I am Pam Siow, I used to run online businesses. It started off when I set up several an online platform connecting music teachers with their students, more of like an intermediary. It was a pretty easy-going business, as I made money by promoting my partners businesses. Eventually, I sold off the business to my team which comprises of stay-at-home mothers who have managed it for me for many years. Subsequently, I launched my coaching business for internet marketing programs, helping both aspiring entrepreneurs and business owners to leverage on the internet in order to grow their businesses.

Me: How does your business work like?

Pam: My first business was to connect music schools to students. It paid me a commission per sale. My coaching business, Internet Biz Owners Club specializes in teaching low tech people who want to profit from the internet goldmine and how acquire prospects through the internet.

Me: How did you first start your business?

Pam: It started out of desperation. I had a $14,000 credit card debt and was only 28 years old at that time, so I frantically searched for alternatives to solve my problem. The online business prospect looked like an attractive outlet and I diligently educate myself by attending workshops. Once I have acquired the knowledge, I launched a basic 3 pages website and earned enough to quit my job within 4 months. And then within 1 year, I paid off all my credit card debts. And since then, the business just grew!

Me: Amazing! So how do you know that you wanted to continue doing the business?

Pam: Thing is, I did not start the business out of passion but rather out of desperation. I was also in a non-fulfilling job and after attending workshop I decided to use my skills to earn my own money and worked very hard at it. As the business grew, I became more motivated and subsequently increased my effort into it. Now, I am technically unemployable because I am just too opinionated about everything/

Me: Did you know that this business will make money?

Pam: No, I didn’t have any idea at first. I just did a quick calculation of how it could work, stop over-analyzing and just do it. No one is ever certain that a business can make money. However it shouldn’t deter you from making a decision. In business, there is no certainty, therefore the best way is to try it out and explore it.

Me: When did you realize that you rather work for yourself than having a job & working for others?

Pam: The ability to earn money myself motivated me and it spurred me to take more action to grow my income. There are definitely pros and cons for running your own business and working for someone. If you want to earn unlimited income and be able to build an empire, starting your own business is definitely more attractive. If you prefer a safety nest and less stress, then a job is definitely better for you.

Me: What is the advantage of working for yourself?

Pam: Plenty! Unlimited income, freedom of unnecessary schedule and the ability to make money from your ideas.

Me: How long was it (into the business) that you made your first million?

Pam: Well it took me about 3 years into my own business before I earned the first million.

Me: What is your advice to those who wants to quit their job & pursue their dream?

Pam:  I always advised people to follow the steps below:

Do your research
Google provides a tool like Google keyword Tool that provides insights to what people want to buy in Singapore or any other country. Use that tool to influence you on what products or services to sell.

Educate yourself
If you are an employee, shifting into a business owner mindset needs time and openness. Attend workshops to learn from people who have already done it and get insights on how they did it.

Go online
If you are new to business, use the most affordable outlets to market your products or services. As the internet is the most powerful and effective platform to reach out to clients, learn how to utilize technology to market your business and allow it to market 24/7 online.

Surround yourself with the right people
Business is a mindset game. Surround yourself with positive entrepreneurial people who will inspire and motivate you to pursue your dreams.

Get a mentor
Business is a journey full of ups and downs. The best way to shortcut the process is to hire a mentor who will show you the shortcut to success.

Me: What is your advice to those who are afraid to face their fear (afraid to step out of their comfort zone) and quit their job to start a business?

Pam: To start a business, one needs to learn on how to step outside the comfort zone. So in this case, taking the leap is necessary to be successful. Sometimes, creating or even being in a certain situation (I need to settle my debt!) will force one to take action even though you don’t feel like doing it, and it can actually accelerate the process. In my case, I joined workshops and hire mentors and to be honest, these are my driving force to move ahead and accelerate my progress. In other words, we are all 'lazy' people, so by creating or being in a situation, it forces you to take action before you know it!

Me: Thanks so much for your time Pam! Hope to meet you in person someday.

Pam: My pleasure!


(Above pics) Articles on Pam in various media.

(Above pic) Pam's column in one of the business magazine (SME).


So, the TAKE AWAY from this interview:

Do your research
Google provides a tool like Google keyword Tool that provides insights to what people want to buy in Singapore or any other country. Use that tool to influence you on what products or services to sell.

Educate yourself
If you are an employee, shifting into a business owner mindset needs time and openness. Attend workshops to learn from people who have already done it and get insights on how they did it.

Go online
If you are new to business, use the most affordable outlets to market your products or services. As the internet is the most powerful and effective platform to reach out to clients, learn how to utilize technology to market your business and allow it to market 24/7 online.

Surround yourself with the right people
Business is a mindset game. Surround yourself with positive entrepreneurial people who will inspire and motivate you to pursue your dreams.

Get a mentor
Business is a journey full of ups and downs. The best way to shortcut the process is to hire a mentor who will show you the shortcut to success.

To find out more about upcoming workshops from Pam and her team, head on HERE!

2 comments:

  1. From negative to making great money through the internet business. Awesome.

    3 years 1st million. I'm gonna climb up too. All the best for everyone who take actions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks JJ!

    I have seen your site,Interesting! Who knows we can work something out together someday? Events, collaboration :-). Keep in touch!

    ReplyDelete

What Say You?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...