Tuesday 27 August 2013

SUCCESSFUL ICON#4: DAVINA GOH aka JILL OF ALL TRADES


I met Davina very briefly during the launch of my first book ‘Silent Cries’ in Borders Bookstore many years back. I was with the late Sabrina Yeap, founder of Furry Friends Farm (May her soul rest in peace) at the launch speaking about the Animal’s Welfare in Malaysia.

At that time, Davina has just finished her dance rehearsals for the much coveted dance reality show ‘So you think you can dance?’ where she competed and eventually made it to the Top 20.

At first glance, Davina is a bubbly and highly spirited girl that is full of passion. I noticed how she listened with empathy at the launch and clapped with such gusto right after we finished.

She immediately introduced herself to us and eventually we became friends. Although I didn’t get to hang out with her and experienced her warmth in person, keeping in touch with her via the social media is enough for us to be kept updated. To sum up, she’s one of the most genuine, fun loving and talented person that I’ve ever known.

Fast forward over the years, Davina is now a successful stage & screen actress, a columnist, an emcee, a dancer, print & TVC model, voice over talent, a true blue animal lover and a joker. Oh yes, you’ll crack at her jokes and she’s a natural at it! She’s an avid traveller and philanthropist in her own rights too. She’s taught underprivileged children during her trip to Siam Reap with her sister and she’s joined several activist groups in the country in support of their work.

(Above pic) Davina & her sister with the underprivileged children in Siam Reap

I believe that there is nothing that can slow down Davina. I am truly in awe and inspired by her spirit to live and experience life. At such a young age, she has accomplished so much and I believe she will accomplish more.

(Above pic) Davina, being her usual bubbly self, goofing around.

While conducting this interview, Davina is currently based in China where she learns Martial Arts (Kung Fu). She’s really a fireball of energy!  
  
The interview:

Me: Hi Davina, could you please introduce yourself to the readers and what do you do currently?

Davina: Hi peeps, I am Davina Goh. I'm a self-employed actor / emcee / writer and currently studying at the Maling Shaolin Kung Fu Academy, China.

Me: How did you first discover your passion and what makes you want to pursue it? Did you do it full time?

Davina: The acting bug bit me in high school. I was a socially awkward kid and used acting as a form of escapism, to be someone else that people could connect to better. Somewhere down the line it helped me come out of my shell, and now I use it to develop my empathy and share good stories. It was an on-the-side thing for the past 13 years, until I quit my job in April 2013.

Me: Did you make any money from your passion so far?

Davina: To be frank, no one starts acting for money. Even as a seasoned actor, jobs are few and far between for English-speaking roles in Malaysia. Money is made from your versatility as a performer in general.  However, I have sustained a steady stream of side-income through musicals, dance, writing, spoken word, voice acting, talent work and emceeing. The perks that I got out of acting is being able to leave an impact on people - unexpectedly bringing out thoughts, emotions and memories, and being able to connect with audiences on an incredibly intimate level.

Me: What is your advice to those who wants to quit their job & pursue their dream?

Davina: One of the biggest misconceptions is that one should wait for the best time to do so. There is no such thing. There is no good or bad time. You either do it or you don't. But when you do, keep looking ahead and don't have regrets! Work hard at your dreams, and the rewards will be immeasurable.

Me: What is your future plan? Where would you like to see yourself 5 years from now?

Davina: If I survive long enough in my kungfu school, I hope to bring back an additional skill for my acting career. Where will that take me, who knows? I have made no specific plans, but as long as I am responsive to change in my life, have good intentions and keep an open mind and heart, I trust that I will constantly land in worthwhile places.

Me: If you could start all over again, what would do you do differently to achieve your dream?

Davina: I would have definitely started at a younger age, easily 10 years earlier. I had an emotionally oppressed upbringing, so I held back a lot of my potential due to fear. But the life I have now has happened for a reason, and I am grateful for this journey and the lessons it has taught me so far.

MeThank you so much Davina and I hope you’ll have a great time in your Kung Fu school! Keep in touch!

Davina: My pleasure! And thanks so much for the opportunity.


(Above pic) Davina & her Number 1 fan! Her Mom!
(Above pic) Article on her latest stage act Ruby Moon, early this year 2013.
(Above pic) Davina's column in the local paper (The Star), The Gratitudist

So, the TAKE AWAY from this interview:

1. Never ignore your talents! Capitalise on them.

2. Do not wait for opportunity to come, be a go getter and get it!

3. There is no such thing as good or bad time to start pursuing your passion. 
     Its either you do it or not.

4. Work hard on your dreams because the rewards will be immeasurable.

Note: Follow Davina on her Twitter for her latest updates! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

What Say You?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...