Wednesday 21 August 2013

SUCCESSFUL ICON#3: CHAN KEE SIAK from EXABYTES NETWORK



Now, this interview really means a lot to me because this successful individual is truly a Self Made person!

Meet Chan Kee Siak (From Malaysia), born to a hawker family, he is a self-taught entrepreneur. He started out as a child helper at his parents’ hawker store and later found Exabytes (Web Hosting company) at a tender age of 19 after dropping out of college to focus 100% on his website business.

So how did Chan came up with the name Exabytes for his business? Well, back then there this one well known company that goes by the name of 'Gigabytes'. But then Chan visualises his future business to be bigger, hence naming it Exabytes instead!






Growing the business to where it is today is not bed of roses indeed. But Chan's vision and mission never faltered. I must credit this spirit due the hard life he has when he was growing up. When he first started the business, like any other typical Asian parents, his father were not particularly supportive as he would prefer seeing his son wear office attire and go work for others, just like any other normal people.

But Chan is determined and hungry. And he's glad that he worked so hard to prove those who doubt his dream earlier that he too can be successful despite having a hard life.

Under his master command, Exabytes has since grew and specialized in providing web hosting services since year 2001. It is ranked at number 1 in Malaysia since 2005 and has served over 60,000+ customers ranging from individuals, students, small & medium businesses, to Government and Public Listed Companies in 121 countries. It also manages over 1000+ servers with 100,000+ websites and 1,000,000+ email accounts. 

Exabytes product offering includes the latest Cloud Hosting, Domain Name Registration / Renewal, Business Web & Email Hosting, Reseller Hosting, Easy.My hosted E-Commerce Solution (allows customers to instantly start their online shop and sell on Facebook and their websites), CDN (Content Delivery Network), EBuzzzz Email Marketing, Premium Business Email hosting with exchange ActiveSync, Instant Website, VPS Hosting, Dedicated Servers, Co-Location services and SSL Web Certificate. 




It is indeed my pleasure to interview such a humble and dynamic person!

MeHi Chan, thanks so much for your time spared for this interview. Could you please introduce yourself and what business do you currently run?

ChanHi there, I am Chan, the Founder and CEO of Exabytes Network Sdn Bhd. Exabytes was formed in Year 2001, and today we specialized in Domain Name, Web Hosting, Cloud Hosting, E-Commerce Hosting, Data Centres and Digital Marketing business. 

MeHow did you start your business? 

ChanWell, my first business was selling computer hardware as a freelancer. I started that in 1999 right after I graduated from secondary 5. I did it merely as a hobby and also to earn a little bit of side income. 

Because of the computer hardware business, I realized that I needed a website too, so in the process of setting up website, I also realized that I need to subscribe to web hosting.

At that time, web hosting is still considered very new in the market with limited local suppliers. I then saw this as a great opportunity and started as a reseller for a US hosting company, from there on everything is history!

I grew the business to a full time business complete with my own server farms with over 1000 servers and 100 employees. 

MeImpressive! So how did you first discover your passion and how do you know that you wanted to do it as a business even at an early age?

ChanSince as a kid, computer has always been my interest and hobby. Also, I prefer the type of business where I don't have to meet client face to face every day. Ideally, the business can be delivered over the internet, via an auto pilot system and still generate recurring income. So I figured that a Web Hosting business model seems like a right fit for me!

MeBut how do you know that this business will eventually makes money?

ChanWell, I started the business small when I was still a student at that time, doing it part timely like a freelance. In other words, since I started with a low start up cost with a full commitment to the business, not only I manage to maintain a high margin but I still make money out of it.

MeSo you knew all along that you rather work for yourself than having a job & working for others?

ChanHahaha! I never really thought about that actually because things just happen. I am an accidental entrepreneur. 

MeAnd how long was it (into the business) that you made your first million?

ChanWell, just like any other businesses, it will take time to break even and make so much money. But for me, it probably took me about 3 years to grow the business revenue to over RM1million and sustaining it at the same time.

MeYou worked hard indeed Chan! So, what is your advice to those who wants to quit their job & pursue their dream?

ChanAh, here is something that I have shared recently. And I think these tips are relevant to the question. Feel free to check it out HERE

MeWould you like to offer anything special to Quit Job, Live Life readers?

ChanI don't mind to offer some discounts for hosting plans or some Exabytes Merchandise, let me know which one do you prefer.

(Note to readers: To enjoy this special offer, please drop a note to quitjoblivelife@gmail.com and we will forward your request to Chan personally). 

MeThat’s truly generous of you Chan! I appreciate it! And thanks again for your time, I hope we can chat again sometime soon.

ChanOh not a problem at all. Thanks to you too for this opportunity.



(Above pics) Chan in various media.
(Above pic) Chan's best selling book! From Zerobyte to Exabytes.

So, the TAKE AWAY from this interview:

1   Stay determined even if others does not believe in your dream. 

2   Never give up easily, even if you fall along the way, pick yourself up quickly and continue.

3   Start your business small, keep the operating costs low to enjoy extra returns.


4   Be alert to spot any hidden opportunities that you can explore & transform into a business. 

Note : You can now follow Exabytes on their latest work on Facebook or BlogTo know more about Chan's humble beginnings and how he grew Exabytes, get his book now in your local bookstores. For those who wants to order the book from overseas, you may order from HERE directly. 


3 comments:

  1. So nice...I like your blog.^^
    Maybe follow each other on bloglovin?
    Let me know follow you then back.
    Lovely greets Nessa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks very much Nessa! Love the idea to follow each other :-) Let me know your link please.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for the follow.
    Follow you back on bloglovin.
    Lovely greets

    ReplyDelete

What Say You?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...